Thursday, October 2, 2008

Girls' Trip!!

There is nothing like heading out of town on a little weekend get-a-way!! I try to get my mom to go down to St. George and Tuacahn (outdoor amphitheater) every summer. This year she wasn't interested in seeing the particular shows at Tuacahn, so I talked with some of my friends and we headed down south last weekend. My friends all make fun of me and tease me about being a planner. I have had our trip planned for months!! I think I had the Tuacahn tickets for at least 4-5 months before we went. My friends plan nothing, I plan everything and hope they like what I have us doing!

We headed out Friday morning and on the way down, Pam hadn't been to Cove Fort. We stopped there and took a tour. It was pretty interesting and we had the cutest senior missionary as our tour guide. Usually tour guides can be pretty dry, but you would never say that about the one we had. After Cove Fort we drove straight to our hotel in St. George and checked in. Both Pam and I forgot jackets and Lithia needed shoes, so we went shopping. What would a girls' trip be without shopping! We found what we needed and headed to Tuacahn.

Tuacahn usually has two different plays going in the summer. One plays Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. The other plays Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. So we decided to see both. The first was Big River and what fun that show was. First, for those that have never been, Tuacahn is in Snow Canyon near Ivins, Utah. That part of southern Utah has a lot of redrock mountains and it is beautiful. So Tuacahn sits right in the middle of a redrock canyon and is the most beautiful, serene place you can ever see a play. There is a stream that flows down the canyon and Tuacahn has a way to "flood" the stage, although I have never seen it happen. Well, that changed for me when I saw Big River. I can't think of a word to better describe it, but it was cool! Everyone needs to see Big River.

Saturday was packed with fun. We got up and went to Zions National Park. It happened to be Public Lands Day, so we didn't have to pay to get in. Saved us $25! I have driven through Zions, but never really stopped there. We went on a hike, well not so much a hike as a nice walk on a paved slightly up and down trail following the river. It was beautiful!! We took the path that led to the Narrows. We didn't hike the Narrows because of time and hiking difficulty. We drove the 1.1 mile tunnel through the mountain and took lots of pictures. I love being in nature, I love St. George!

After Zions, we grabbed a bite to eat at Texas Roadhouse and headed to Tuacahn for our second play. We saw Les Miserables which is one of my favorite plays and Tuacahn did a phenomenal job!! It was so powerful and moving. I know I'm a big cry baby, but I was teary-eyed in different parts through the whole thing. My favorite parts/songs were On My Own, Do You Hear the People Sing, Bring Him Home, Little Fall of Rain, and the list can go on and on. All I can say is "WOW!"

Sunday we got up and headed home. We stopped in Kolob Canyon, which is part of Zions, and took more pictures. It is amazing how beautiful things are!! We had a great time and we are discussing doing it again next year. We'll see.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

What a fun trip! You're always the life of the party Jennifer!

Whit said...

Sounds great to me. My parents were just there also.