Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sons and Daughters

Every year my work participates in the “Bring Your Sons and Daughters to Work” day. Because I don’t have any sons or daughters of my own, I have been waiting for my nephew to get old enough to go. This year he went with me and it was a lot of fun!

I picked him up about 7am and headed in to work. He really didn’t get to see what I do at work though because I was involved in the festivities all day long. We had five different groups of kids, about 20 kids per group. I got to be one of the group leaders.


We started with checking in and eating a light breakfast. We then went to the Accounting department and played some games involving math. Then my group went to the Membership department and they got to do a scavenger hunt, make and fly paper airplanes, and guess how many candies were in a jar. All very fun stuff! We then went to lunch at the Lion House, which I probably should have gone somewhere with more food choices. My nephew didn’t eat much and we ended up taking most of it home.

After lunch we went to three more classes. First we went to the Missionary department where they learned about eating healthy and making good food choices. Then we went to my department, Organizational Development. There they learned how to insert graphics in a PowerPoint presentation and animate those graphics, as well as adding text. They also played bingo.


The last place we went is the Actuarial department. Here they got to learn about probability and how the actuaries have to make educated guesses on how much to charge everyone for their insurance premiums. Definitely not my cup of tea!

After all the classes, my work hired a magician to come in for the last part of the day. The kids thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m sure this will be their favorite part of the day! I would say that most of the adults that stayed for the magic show enjoyed it as much as the kids.

To wrap things up, everyone was exhausted at the end of the day. My mom was watching my brother’s kids while they went to a movie, so I took my nephew to my mom’s. Soon after he was sleeping, poor kid was wiped out!!

1 comment:

Whit said...

What a fun day. Can I come next time?