
Almost every Sunday night, some of my family gets together and we watch a movie (last night it was 'Dan in Real Life'). I don't remember how it came up, but my uncle said there is some Irish blood in my family on my mother's side. The conversation made me recall something that someone said to me long ago.
I had a couple people ask me if I had any Irish in me. I told them I didn't know and asked them why. They said I looked 'Black Irish' and of course, I had to ask them what that meant. They told me it meant I had dark hair, dark eyes and a fair complexion. According to their description, I guess I could be considered 'Black Irish.'
Well today, I looked up Black Irish on the Internet. This is what I found:
It seems that the fundamental meaning of "Black Irish" is simply anyone with Irish ancestry who has dark hair and eyes, as opposed to the more typical and paler complexion we associate with people from Ireland. Ironically, the term "Black Irish" isn't used in Ireland particularly. It's mostly seen in North America.
So basically I could have a little luck o' the Irish in me yet!!
No comments:
Post a Comment